Attaching audio files without cd

General CATraxx discussion/support.

Attaching audio files without cd

Postby drwho » Sat May 26, 2012 5:54 am

I have a cd with something like 45 mp3 files on it. It's not music so I cant get track info from anywhere.

I want to manually create a cd and it's info and then attach the mp3 files that I've copied to my computer. Scanning the folder doesn't do any good (I can only cancel, not attach) and manually entering the names of the tracks is impractical.

I've tried importing an Excel sheet but can't seem to get it to work. It finds the album info but not the tracks to attach to it.

Can someone tell me how to manually create the CD and then automatically attach the mp3 files to it?

Thanks,
Larry
drwho

Re: Attaching audio files without cd

Postby KAM » Sat May 26, 2012 8:58 am

Hi there

I'm genuinely confused by many of the points you've made and not at all clear what is the ultimate aim here. For example you say at the start "I have a cd ..." and then finish by saying "Can someone tell me how to manually create the CD ..." I'm going to assume you want to create a CATraxx database entry for your existing CD and all the tracks on it. If that's the wrong thing, then please point me in the right direction.

Let's go through this stage by stage-
I cant get track info from anywhere
Do these mp3s have any 'identitity' at all? What are you expecting CATraxx to do with them if there is no track info? Is there anything stored in the tags of each mp3?

Let's take a real minimum example where you want to use the file name as the only piece of data you have, and that file name is to be treated by CATraxx as the "track title". CATraxx can't have tracks floating loose in its database, so they must all belong to an "album". In this case we can use the folder name that all the mp3s are in as the "album title".

Have a look in this thread from a few days ago where a similar issue was being addressed - there's some useful information there which may help.

Scanning the folder doesn't do any good (I can only cancel, not attach)
Now, this statement makes me think you are not trying to create a new album with tracks. This sounds as though you have tried to 'attach' audio files to an existing album. The purpose of the 'attach audio files' command is just that: an album and its tracks already exist as data records in CATraxx and now you want to attach some audio files, one to each of these tracks.
manually entering the names of the tracks is impractical
This confirms my suspicion that you may have created a new album manually, but haven't added 45 tracks manually. You've been trying to attach files to an empty album. This is not what attaching is designed for.
I've tried importing an Excel sheet
I can't offer any guidance on this at all I'm afraid. I just don't have any experience of using this myself.

I think the best answer here is to delete the existing album you have and start again. Try using the techniques detailed in the other thread I linked to. The biggest thing many users need to get their heads around is the difference between adding a whole new album by scanning tracks (AUDIO > SCAN FOLDERS: ADD AUDIO FILES ...) and simply linking a set of audio files to an existing album entry with its tracks already listed (AUDIO > ATTACH AUDIO FILES ... ). I think you should be using the first instruction (available at the album view menu) and not the second (available in the album edit form menu).

Good luck! Let me know if I'm anywhere near the problem. Come back is there are any other issues or if I really have misunderstood things badly :(

Ken
KAM

Postby drwho » Sat May 26, 2012 3:44 pm

Thank you KAM.

Sorry about how confusing my post is. I re-read in light of your questions and I see how poorly I phrased it. Sorry.

But through it all you answered my question and I was able to add. Your link was helpful and your paragraph of the difference between adding and linking actually did the trick. You're right, I hadn't noticed the difference.

Thanks for your help,
Larry
drwho

Postby KAM » Sat May 26, 2012 7:02 pm

We got there - excellent!

It's one of these things, like learning to ride a bike. Not entirely obvious, but once learned, never forgotten!

Regards

Ken
KAM

Return to Using CATraxx